Seafood Paella by Derek Perry
Serves: 6 people
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Time: 1 hr 5 min
1 sweet yellow onion chopped
2 red bell peppers
10 cloves of garlic, diced
12 oz. bag of frozen peas
12 oz. can of tomatoes sauce
14 oz. Can diced tomatoes
3 lemons (2 sliced and 1 juiced)
1 - 2 lbs. large shrimp
1 - 2 lbs. clams or mussels or crab or lobster
12 oz. Cajun sausage links, sliced
2.5 cups of paella rice arroz
8 cups of chicken broth
2 - 3 tbs. Salt, pepper garlic blend (season to taste)
1 tsp. Saffron
1 Goya packet
2 tbs. Olive oil
1 - 2 tbs. Butter Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat chicken broth and saffron in stockpot over medium heat. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil over bell pepper and coat evenly.
- Char bell peppers over an open flame on all sides.
- Place bell peppers in a paper bag, seal close and steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel off charred skin and remove seeds from bell peppers.
- Chop bell peppers and set them aside.
- Heat 2 tbs. of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add diced gargle and cook 2 - 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add sliced sausage links and cook 2 - 4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add 1 - 2 tbs. of butter, allowing it to melt, then add rice.
- Add canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pan.
- Add 2 cups of warm broth, salt-pepper garlic blend, and Goya packet to the pan. Stir constantly for 4 to 6 minutes.
- As the broth starts to absorb, add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of broth at a time. Just enough to cover the rice. Stir constantly and repeat until all broth is gone.
- Meanwhile, grill lemon slices.
- Immediately after, add the last bit of broth, stir in lemon juice.
- Add 1/2 bag of peas, shrimp, shellfish, (or desired combination), and lemon slices.
- Cover and continue to cook on low (or indirect heat) for 10-20 minutes.
- Plate and garnish with chopped parsley.