Top 7 Best Charcoal Smokers for 2021
If you’re not a vegetarian, it’s safe to say that there’s a good chance you love your meat. But, have you ever stopped to think about what makes steak and bacon so tantalizing to the taste buds? What is so special about meat that, for most people, trumps the mounting scientific data of its detrimental effects on human health?
Well, the key to this conundrum lies in the flavor. You'll be surprised to learn that 95 percent of what most people believe to be the taste of meat, actually stems from the aroma. For quality meat sources and reviews, check out the official website of Carnivorestyle.
If you thought that the mouth-watering goodness that is barbecued steak is out of this world, then smoking it will add a whole new dimension to the experience! The hype surrounding this cooking trend isn’t just a backyard competition with your next-door neighbor to see who has the fancier grill. It tenderizes the meat and infuses a unique smoky flavor that can’t be replicated using any other barbecuing technique.
If you haven’t tried it, you’re missing out! We compiled a list of the best charcoal smokers for 2021 that are guaranteed to give you the best results.
Top-Rated Charcoal Smokers for 2021
- Large Big Green Egg
- Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Portable Grill with WIFI
- Pit Boss 77700 Copperhead 7 Series 29-inch Vertical Pellet Smoker
- Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker
- Weber Original Kettle Premium 26-Inch Charcoal Grill
- Kamado Joe Classic II Ceramic Grill with Cart
- Louisiana Grills Estate Series Pellet Smoker Grill
1. Best Charcoal Smoker Overall
One of the most popular outdoor charcoal smokers of all time has to be the Big Green Egg. It is a kamado-style egg-shaped grill that is capable of generating extremely high temperatures of up to 600 degrees. It is built with a ceramic shell that allows it to hold low temperatures for sustained periods making it the ideal smoking companion. Find a store near you to purchase a Big Green Egg.
- Heavy-duty ceramic shell exterior
- Porcelain-coated cooking surface
- Glazed interior for easy cleaning
- Cooking area: 262 square inches
2. Best Portable Charcoal Smoker
Are you planning a tailgating or camping adventure any time soon? If you are, then the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Portable Grill with WIFI was designed with you in mind. It is lightweight with foldable legs that make it compact enough to fit in the trunk of your car without taking up too much space. The best part about it is its WiFi feature that allows you to control the grill settings directly from an app on your phone.
- Polished steel body with foldable legs
- WiFi-enabled digital controller
- Cooking area: 219 square inches
3. Best Vertical Charcoal Smoker
If you’re looking to achieve an authentic wood flavor, then the Pit Boss Copperhead Vertical Pellet Smoker will help you do just that. This one-of-a-kind smoker comes with a 60-pound hopper that provides up to 24 hours of non-stop smoking at temperatures ranging between 150 and 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Its porcelain-coated cooking racks stack together to provide a staggering 2,059 square inches of cooking area.
- Painted steel construction
- Porcelain-coated steel cooking racks
- User-friendly digital controller
- Cooking area: 2,059 square inches
4. Best Charcoal Smoker for Flavor
The Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker is an easy-to-use grill and is the perfect companion for anyone planning to host a big barbecue event. It has ample room to hold up to 60 pounds of meat, which, for perspective, is equivalent to about four large turkeys. Its superior design promotes efficient airflow to hold consistent temperatures for long periods and to give your meat an authentic smokehouse flavor right in the comfort of your home.
- Porcelain-enameled steel construction
- Built-in thermometer
- Cooking area: 726 square
5. Best Budget Charcoal Smoker
The Weber Kettle grill has been around for nearly seven decades. So, there’s a pretty good chance that you’ve eaten a steak, a hotdog or a burger cooked on one at some point in your life. The Weber Original Kettle Premium 26-Inch Charcoal Grill adds a new twist to an old classic by incorporating modern features like a built-in lid thermometer for full heat-control to take your grilling and smoking experience to a whole new level.
- Porcelain-enameled body
- One-Touch cleaning system
- Built-in thermometer
- Cooking area: 508 square
6. Best Freestanding Charcoal Smoker
The Kamado Joe Classic II 18-inch Ceramic Grill with Cart is one of the most versatile cooking products that are hot on the market right now. Its design is based on an ancient clay-cooking principle that originated in China. It infuses modern-day user-friendly features like low-temperature smoking, high-heat grilling, and other advanced capabilities that guarantee to seal in all that smoky goodness and moisture content at any temperature.
- Ceramic and cast iron construction
- Built-in temperature gauge
- Cooking area: 265 square inches (excluding expandable grates)
7. Best Versatile Charcoal Smoker
The Louisiana Grills Estate Series 860 Square-Inch Built-In Pellet Smoker Grill takes the flexibility of outdoor cooking to a whole new level. With a total cooking area spanning 860 square inches, this freestanding charcoal smoker is designed to be a showstopper making it a must-have for any avid barbecue enthusiast. It is known for its superior exhaust system that provides even smoking as well as its superior heat-retention capabilities.
- 304-grade double-walled stainless steel construction
- Built-in dome temperature gauge with bezel
- Cooking area: 860 square inches (excluding expandable grates)
Top Pick for 2021
With so many charcoal smokers in the market to choose from, each one brings something different to the table depending on your barbecuing goals and budget. If you’re looking for something versatile, feature-rich, and with excellent temperature control, then you can’t go wrong with the Big Green Egg.
It doubles up as both a grill and a smoker and is ideal for someone who intends to do a lot of barbecuing. It’s no wonder it stands out as one of the greatest grills of modern times.
Looking to buy a gas grill? Check out our blog for the best propane grills for 2021.